Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cake, Macaroni, and Kitchen Utensils


Why hello there everyone in the far off land of America. This is Carey, as in Mariah Carey (that's how my roommate introduces me) here to tell you all about my fantastic time in ye olden England. I don't know why I'm writing like I'm just beginning the blog, but anyway...Sunday evening was fantastic! Stephanie (my roommate) and I made a lemon cake which was absolutely delicious (and is the first picture) which we ate outside while admiring the stars and just talking about random things. I got to learn a lot about English schooling and how English students go to primary school (5-11), secondary school (12-16), college (17-18), and then university (19-21). We were outside for a long time, so it got kind of cold, but it was totally worth it because it was really fun! Monday morning I woke up for my third abnormal and clinical lecture which was about social anxiety disorder and was really interesting. Later I had my second glorious revolution lecture which was about Charles II and his religious and political policies during his reign. I didn't know a lot about Charles II before, but it was actually a very interesting lecture and I learned lots of new things. Later, I took pictures of campus, the second picture above is my kitchen (which is absolutely disgusting but was like that when I got here) and the third picture is my dorm. There weren't any really good places to take a picture of East Slope (my dorm), but the picture is the general idea of it and now you can all see that it looks like steps. Monday evening Stephanie and I made macaroni and cheese which was absolutely delicious!!! I saved some for dinner tonight (yum!) because I bought Tupperware from the pound store the other day. This morning I woke up later (yay sleeping in!) and then went with Stephanie to one of her law lectures (Public Law) just to see what it was like. I didn't understand a lot of it, but I still think that law is really interesting and I wouldn't mind taking a few classes about it if I had the time (which I don't at Clark...but maybe at CSM?). So after lecture, I came back and watched an episode of Castle (which is an amazing show if anyone is interested in watching it) and then I got ready to go to Sainsburys. This was my first time taking public transportation by myself in Sussex (I took a picture of the double decker bus, see above) and I was kind of afraid that I would miss the stop, but everything went very smoothly. I bought lots of kitchen stuff so I can actually make things now! Well...I still need a pot and a frying pan and actual utensils (as opposed to plastic ones), but it's a start! I think I'm going to head to York House reception and see if I can get a pack of that kind of stuff for 25 pounds later. Anyway, so I had a very successful trip and then I came back to my room and...well...wrote in my blog!

Ooh...small note...the reason I have a picture of a seagull above is because there are so many seagulls around here! Even more than at home which is strange considering how close I am to the Bay at home. The seagulls are vicious! I thought that we were far enough from the shore (about 4 miles) that we wouldn't have to worry about them, but I was completely wrong. I have been woken up many times by their crazy seagull noises...oh seagulls...

1 comment:

  1. Okay, you are going to have to write a book. You are a natural writer and I feel as though you are having a sit down conversation with each of us readers. Thank you for giving details about food, dorm, transportation, and life in England. I feel like I'm traveling with you. And I'll enjoy even more pictures, maybe some additional flora and fauna.

    Hugs and Love

    ReplyDelete